Township Assistance

Application Procedure

The Wayne Township Trustee provides emergency assistance for individuals who meet eligibility requirements. Individuals 18 years of age and older may apply for assistance. Clients are seen Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. by appointment only.

All applicants applying for township assistance will be processed according to written uniform standards, without regard to applicant’s age, sex, religious creed, national origin, political belief, or physical or mental handicap.

Persons that may qualify for other benefit programs will be required to make a formal application with those programs.

To determine eligibility, the Trustee will consider resources and assets of the household such as cash on hand, checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, proceeds of grants, student loans or stipends, recreational vehicles and any other resources.

The township may require households requesting township assistance to allow an inspection of their living quarters. The inspector will assess the unit’s compliance with the minimum standards of health, safety, decency, and will determine the amount of rental assistance per trustee standards.

Determination will be made within 72 hours of the initial application. Holidays and weekends are excluded.

Wayne Township will accommodate persons who are unable to physically come into the township office to apply for township assistance. Arrangements for home visits may be made by calling the office and making an appointment. Forms may be accessed on this website, at the bottom of this page. When making your appointment, please ask what forms you need to print and complete for your appointment.


Services Provided

The Wayne Township Trustee provides assistance with basic living expenses which may include: Medical Assistance, Food, Shelter, Transportation, Utilities, Burial, Heating Fuel, Clothing.

The Wayne Township Trustee also provides a Veterans Service Officer. If  you are a veteran, or the spouse of a veteran and you need help filing a claim or checking the status of an existing claim you can contact our office.

Your caseworker can explain these services to you in detail.


What You Need To Bring On Appointment Day.

• Proof of residence (Lease or Mortgage)

• State issued Identification for all household members 18 years of age or older

• Social security for all household members

• Signature on application for all household members 18 years of age or older

• Income for all adults living in the household in the past 30 days

• Paid receipts (cancelled checks, statements, money order stubs)

• Doctors statement written in the last 30 days if you are unable to work or have work restrictions

• Proof of filing taxes by providing income tax returns showing income and payment of taxes or refund  (Feb 1 to June 30)


Tips for Applying

• Be on time, be patient and be honest

• Bring all information requested and more if you can

• Keep all appointments with other agencies

• Keep all receipts and pay stubs


Off-Site Non-Township Assistance Programs

(By appointment only)

• Energy Assistance Program, Winter Assistance Fund and Summer Cool down (317) 524-6966 – Click for more information

• Families and Covering Kids Health Insurance (HIP, Hoosier Healthwise, and Wishard Advantage) (317) 241-4191

Hoosier Healthwise Website – Click for more information

Healthy Indiana Plan – Click for more information

Wishard Advantage – Click for more information

• Marion County Prosecutors’ Office, Division of Child Support (317) 327-1800

Marion County Prosecutor Child Support Website  – Click for more information

•Social Security Payee Program 317-241-4191

Social Security Payee Program Website – Click for more information

•Marion County Veteran Service Office 317-327-5563

* Indiana Department of Child Services, Child Support

Weblink to DCS – Click for more information

Other Assistance Program Websites

Wayne Township Assistance Forms for Download

Click on the name of the form to start the download and print.

Forms for new clients

Application for Township Assistance (TA-1)

Landlord Statement Form

Citizenship Verification Form

General Assistance Form

Basic Living Expenses

Medical Statement


Forms for returning clients

Application for Additional or Continuing Assistance (TA-1B)